Friday, January 21, 2011

The treadmill sucks


I hate running on the treadmill. This morning was probably the 2nd time in the last 6 years or so. We got just enough snow, that turned into a solid sheet of ice on all of the roadways. This forced me indoors this morning. I could have waited until this evening to attempt a workout on the roads. But, the chances of it thawing enough and actually getting it done, weren't really in my favor. That and I had a speed workout scheduled for today. Didn't even try to do the planned workout, instead modified it and cut it in half. Still only ended up with 5 miles total on the treadmill. Time just stands still.

I guess the biggest thing about the treadmill is that its so warm inside. I start slinging sweat after 5 minutes. The little fans on the treadmill help some, but still way to warm for me. ('course this particular gym didn't even have that) Seemed like I was thirsty after only a mile or so. Must be the dry indoor air?

It is pretty nice to be able to dial up a pace, that's great for doing some speed workouts. I didn't even try to do that for the scheduled minute on/off workout. I bet it could be programmed into the treadmill, that would be cool. Manually increasing to the desired pace and then decreasing for the recovery just seems so awkward. I felt like I'm about to land on my face at any minute.

The gym I was at, only has 2 tiny TV's which are impossible to see. Perhaps at a nicer gym with lots of BIG tv's I could get into the treadmill. At least a distraction to make the time go by quicker. Thankfully I had my Ipod.

I'll be glad when this winter is over. Just a little bit to much snow this year for me.

1 comment:

GeorgiaSnail said...

I think it's the dry indoor air that gets me...I hate the dreadmill. Another thing that bothers me is the "constant" pace of the TM, I guess outside my pacing varies a little, hmmm, maybe treadmill running is good for pacing. nah.