Wednesday, January 2, 2008

2nd Dirk's Fat Ass 50k


This years event was marked with stiff winds and temperatures in the upper 30's and lots of sunshine. 5 people completed the 50k distance. David Jones, Murfreesboro's own ultra champion was this years winner. David Jones, Chris Maples, Paul Arnette, Rick Caffy and Joe Millichap; all completed the 50k. Amy Reneau did 2 laps, 20+ miles. Her dad Kevin Reneau came out and ran the second loop with her. Bill Alexander did 1 and 1/2 loops. A little more than 15 miles the farthest he's ever run. The race director, Dirk Hayes did 2 and 1/2 loops. Roughly 24 miles. The following did 1 loop, with the exception of Sandy Goodman who added her own loop to gain 3 extra miles. Jason CarpenterSandy GoodmanPallie JonesDavid HoakeMike Moore+ 2 runners, whose names I did not get:( One loop was 10.3 miles.

The course started at the General Bragg HQ's on the Stones River Greenway and went out to Stones River Battlefield and around the battlefield and back to the greenway and on to Cannonsburg and then back to General Bragg's HQ for one loop. The 50k distance was 3 loops. The pavillion at General Braggs HQ's served as the starting and ending point, as well as the aid station. Participants brought coffee, chicken and dumplings, homemade energy bars, bananas, gatorade and other homemade treats to share.


Kinda bummed that I didn't even finish my own race. Starting the 3rd loop I was getting tired and stopped to adjust my calf sleeve and decided to walk a bit. I'd refilled my water bottle with gatorade only a mile back. I continued walking and drinking and started to get dizzy and light headed. Guess I hadn't been to smart by only doing the succeed caps and gatorade at the aid station. Last year I ate heartily at each loop, this year I only got one helping of chicken and dumplings on the first loop. My lack of calorie intake must have caught up with me. I was only 2 miles from the aid station. I really thought I'd start back running but ended up walking the 2 miles back. I was pretty darn cold when I got back to the aid station. Amazing how quickly a coke will get you back after a bonk.

No comments: