Tuesday, January 27, 2009

herd mentality

Met the 4:30 herd this morning for an easy 10 miles in the rain. Pretty crappy day. I was late and the guys did a quarter mile loop waiting for me to pull up. I was almost secretly hoping they'd all slept in. The temperature was 34 degrees and a pretty steady rain. Yuck.

First 4-5 miles weren't to bad, the rain was mostly at our back. By 6-7 miles the guys were picking up the pace. They were ready to be done. By 8 miles we were all soaked to the bone and ready to call it a day. The final couple of miles home seemed to be filled with road sized puddles which were deep enough that we were leaving a wake and splashing each other.

Blech. Not the worst conditions I've run in. Glad the guys slowed down enough that I was able to keep up. Couple of fast miles around 6 or 7 miles in, but still only averaged marathon pace for the entire run. Probably to quick for an easy day for me, but slow for their easy day.

1 comment:

Stacey Olson said...

Nothing about running 10 miles sounds easly to me lol.. the weather here is finally warming enough maybe I can get out and do some hiking.. I really need the fresh air..thanks for sharing