Tuesday, July 1, 2008

part 2

Speedwork was a bust. Don't know if it was so smart to do the quality portion of a double as the second half. Or maybe I was dehydrated. The second set of 2 miles my mouth was super dry.(that plus my pee was bright yellow before I left the house, not good) Or maybe its the course is all out in the open sun versus the shade of the battlefield. Should have been a equal or better workout than last week, it was only 81 degrees, 10 degrees cooler than last week.

Target for the 2 miles were 6:27 versus 6:40 last week. I hit 6:32 and 6:26 for the first 2 miles. Felt good. Dave T. rode by on his Cervelo the last 800 meters and yelled at me. Must have thought I looked bad. I needed it, to get back on track. Next 2 miles didn't came as easy. By 800 meters into the first mile, I was running out of steam. Tried pushing but just wasn't much left. Mouth was like chalk it was so dry. First mile came in at 6:40, I slowed 12 seconds in the last 800 meters. On the second mile, I just decided to gut it out and take whatever I could get. I was only running at a 7:00 mile pace at 800 meters and wanted to quit, but decided it would just be better to hang until the end, even if it was only a 7:00 mile. Did manage to push a little for a 6:57.

Tried to do the 800 meters, but caved after 200 meters, no energy. Tried the 400 meters, same thing. Slogged it home for some homemade spaghetti.

2 comments:

William said...

Man, you're working your ass off.

I'm back to running a little. Very little. I just do 2 or 3 two mile runs a week around 6:55 pace. I don't do well in the heat and I've gained several lbs since racing season.

Old Man said...

don't see how folks run well in the heat, unless you run every day in the heat, schedule doesn't allow that.