Wednesday, August 13, 2008

MUPS

Pet peeves, MUPS. Multiple Use Pathways. I have a love/hate relationship with these pathways. As a runner I love them. Jeez, that's one of the reasons for moving into the neighborhood where we live, the proximity of the MUP or Stones River Greenway. Asphalt pathway for the most part with some sections of concrete and wooden plank bridges. Lots of different trail heads with lots of parking. New section will extend all the way to Barfield Crescent Park with close to 10 miles or more of pathway.

But, this morning the railroad crossing from General Bragg's HQ was torn up going to the Stones River Battlefield. I saw it last night on our speed workout. Forgot about it until this morning when I rode up on it on my bike. So, I was forced to ride the greenway. Not very many runners or walkers. Saw a fox run across by the dam. The greenway is to narrow in spots, plus you have to go slow and watch out for the runners and walkers. I'd rather go ride in the country, but don't really have enough time for that in the morning. Only able to ride for about an hour, before its' time to go to work. Plus, I don't want to deal with commuters more worried about getting to work, than the old guy on the bike. The MUP is great for runs, walking or riding the bike slowly with the kids. But it just doesn't cut it for a training ride on a road bike.

Local biker was killed last Friday. Saw the wreck on my way home. His bike was still on the side of the road, and the police were marking the pavement. Really makes you think. He left behind a wife and two daughters. I've never ridden that road: cars go to fast, no shoulder and to many blind curves. But the local bike club rides there often as do others. It's the road out of the back of my subdivision. I usually ride from the house out the other end of the subdivision. Guess a solo rider is more vulnerable than a group of riders, but I have only ridden with a group on one occasion. It doesn't matter how defensively you ride, one moment of inattention from someone in a car and you can become a statistic.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh, that's so terrible. I HATE to hear that.