Wednesday, September 10, 2008

it's all about the bike

Prepped the bike for tomorrows bike ride. Put a headlamp on the handlebars and the red blinky light on the seatpost. Need to be seen to avoid being clobbered by a car. Still amazes me the attitude of some towards cyclists. I've heard the runners complaints. (and the bikers complaints about runners) Me to. I try to avoid some of those tendencies when I run or bike. But, to actually read what some people think is eye opening. Didn't say so in any of these posts, but on some of the other stories, some believe the cyclist is at fault? Almost to the extent that they deserve to die. That really carries it to a extreme. No compassion whatsoever towards the victim, family or friends. What the hell is the world coming to? I've seen similar comments on other websites in big cities and it is even more pervasive.

Actually did a quick repair job on Darrell's car last night. He called me on the way to work yesterday, to say his radiator hose was leaking. He made it back home and I put on a new upper radiator hose in 5 minutes or less. The generic hose was preformed with almost the right curves to match the old. Only had to cut off about 4 inches to make it fit.

Change in strategy on my recovery runs. Really starting to rethink all of this real slow recovery stuff, I'd been doing on the golf course. 10 weeks out from the Monkey Marathon and I don't want to risk stepping in another hole or twisting my ankle on the golf course. Today's recovery run was a easy 8 miles on the road at around 8:00 average pace for the run.

One Lance Armstrong plug. Time to reread this book, "It' not about the bike". "I WANT TO DIE AT A HUNDRED YEARS OLD WITH an American flag on my back and the star of Texas on my helmet, after screaming down an Alpine descent on a bicycle at 75 miles per hour."

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I want to read that book!

Wow, what others think of cyclists scares me. I tend to think that runners are a little more safe. It's easier to jump into a ditch then to ride a bike into one.

Old Man said...

reason why most of my bike rides are in the country were everyone seems to be more tolerant of the cyclists, plus less traffic or ride on roads with enough shoulder.

some elitist cyclists push some of these folks to far, there's a middle ground for all of us.

don't think cycling is any more dangerous than running, both require your attention to your surroundings and to be on the defensive all the time. (jeez that includes the greenway)