Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sobering run

Started hearing the sirens as I was getting ready for my run this morning. The entrance to our subdivision was blocked and I continued on around Thompson Lane. The first vehicle I saw was a pickup truck with a flat tire and the rear differential gone. I thought it must have been a drunk driver, especially from the marks it left in the road. Farther down the road was the other car. First time I went by before dawn, it looked like a SUV. Coming back the second time, I could tell it was a maybe a 4 door Altima. Both passenger doors gone and the drivers door as well. Terrible wreck. One fatality and another person life flighted.

Coming back through the crash scene was very sobering. I could feel myself about to lose my breakfast. I've seen enough death, dying and car crashes, but it still really makes you think when its back in your face. My heart rate jumped 10 points, coming through the first time and back through the second time. Just thankful for the police officers, medical personnel and their families that have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

Run this morning was supposed to be a 6 mile pace run. I wanted to see how close I could get to pace on the first mile. Ok, for the first half mile, until I saw the first police car. First mile was a 7:38. Settled down after that and came in on pace for the rest of the run. Couldn't really go by heart rate, only by perceived effort for the first 2 miles and the last 2 miles. I could see the police car and lights as soon I turned the corner for the stretch down Thompson Lane to the house.

Four miles easy tomorrow. Thought about doing the golf course, but why even risk another sprained ankle.

No comments: